If you have ever been to a location with naturally occurring hot springs, you may be familiar with that smell. Your goal is to simply enjoy a naturally occurring outdoor spa, but you are greeted with it – the smell of rotten eggs! While you may be willing to put up with the smell for a short amount of time, it is best not to stay too long and take in the foul odor. And no, there are no rotten eggs hiding in the hot spring; the smell is due to Hydrogen Sulfide.
At lower concentrations, Hydrogen Sulfide produces an odor that has often been compared to rotten eggs. If people continue to breathe in Hydrogen Sulfide for a longer period of time, experiences of eye and throat irritation can take place. In high concentrations, paralysis of the respiratory system can occur, and the worst-case scenario can lead to death.
Now, not everyone is visiting a hot spring. But if you are in a workplace that interacts with sewer systems, fishing boats, drilling, or mining, Hydrogen Sulfide can pop up and become an issue.
How do you keep personnel safe from the harmful effects of Hydrogen Sulfide? By oxidizing the compound to where it isn’t harmful! There are a few solutions to oxidizing Hydrogen Sulfide, and PureLine offers a superior solution in Chlorine Dioxide. Greg Simpson, PhD has written a paper comparing Chlorine Dioxide verses another solution, Bleach, in treating Hydrogen Sulfide.
If you have questions in how PureLine can provide a solution for your industry’s Hydrogen Sulfide concerns, please fill out the form below to get in contact with a PureLine representative.
With over 20 years of experience in the manufacture, generation, and application of chlorine dioxide solutions, PureLine specializes in designing and implementing chlorine dioxide treatment solutions utilizing our broad line of proven chlorine dioxide generators and chemical solutions to control and inhibit the growth of mold, mildew, and odor causing bacteria.